Friday 19 May 2017

Studio brief 4: Production

Production of the newspaper was something that took a lot of experimentation and learning. The decision to print onto newsprint was appropriate for the style of publication that was being created. As it is not a white material, it will cause the inks to print out a slightly different colour to what is on screen. The first trial I did with the newsprint allowed me to see just how much darker the inks would come up on the paper. Figure 1 shows how the inks came out, which in comparison to figure 2 (computer design) there is a very big difference. I found out that the stock did contribute to this a little, but the printer that I was using was not set to a high quality print. I changed printer so that I could get a better quality print and ensure that the colours were as close to the onscreen designs as possible. 
I did a test print on normal paper to make sure that it came out ok, this allowed me to learn that the long edge binding when printing double sided does not work for a booklet. Figure 3 shows that the pages on the reverse side of the page printed upside down. To resolve this problem I had to make sure the printer was set to print with a short edge binding. 
Another element that I had to consider when printing was the stock that i printed on. One of the newsprint stock was shiny on one side and matte on the other. This worked well for the centre page where the poster was, but the difference in surface meant that the colours were changed when printed. 
This problem was resolved by finding a newsprint that was thick enough, but the same finish on each of the sides. 

Figure 1
figure 2

figure 3

No comments:

Post a Comment