Friday 19 May 2017

Module evaluation

OUGD405 to me highlighted the value of good research, something I have taken on board during OUGD406. This has been a good way in which my designs have been more varied, the research has allowed me to apply a number of different approaches to the concepts that I have thought of.

The final outcome for studio brief 1 does fulfil the brief in terms of strong use of typography because it is heavily focused on the branding and design of the original Wrigley's chewing gum packet design in the 1930s. To further improve the book cover design, it may have been interesting to take the original branding design that everyone knows and play around with it, breaking the rules slightly so that it could become suggestive and represent different messages that occur within the storyline. Another way to have designed it could be by mocking up the chewing gum packet, photographing it and then digitally inserting it onto the page with natural shadows etc. 

I enjoyed studio brief 2, as I was able to get primary research for the event by attending the day of talks that were held. The final design subjectively represents each of the artists in the exhibition, by taking a mark from each of their works in attempt to capture their individual style and approach to design. The decision to include the logo and date adds some objectivity to the A3 poster and shows that the design is representing the particular event and location. The design is screen printed, a traditional process that is suitable as it allows for a colourful image to be printed by hand with the various layering becoming more interesting due to the overlapping of colours. To further improve the final outcome and demonstrate the ability to use more than one printing method, the logo in the bottom right could work well if it is embossed.

In studio brief 3, as a group we worked well together to come up with a number of ideas that were then developed together. The work was all consistent due to the good communication we had set up as a group, ensuring that everyone was part of the group chat and had access to the google drive of work. With a few changes such as adjustment to the type on the social media platform so that it matches the rest of the design work, the layout of type on the flyer and invites so that it matches the posters and the changing of dates in the wayfinding system; the exhibition branding could be improved. The concept behind the name choice was seen to be strong and easy to understand, something which is important when advertising an event that people need to be encouraged to come along to. 
I feel that I contributed to the group well, offering ideas at all stages of the project. My focus was the posters, a process I spent a lot of time on and did a number of experiments to try and find the best solution. I collated all of the initial ideas and created a pdf for the first presentation, of which I helped to present. I also helped with the layout of the final presentation and then presented our final concept alongside Beth and Harvey. 

The newspaper for studio brief 4 uses the colour scheme of the LCA website so that it is suitable for the target audience. The colours are vibrant and work well together, having narrowed it down to the two colours I think this works better and compliments the duotone poster on the central spread. The research for this project was thorough and by looking at existing newspapers and posters, I was able to apply some of the techniques to this newspaper. The main piece of feedback was based on the stock choice, using newsprint was something that has enhanced the concept of the publication, as it emphasises the topic of becoming an adult. The fact that the images came out darker because of the thinner stock, informed my decision to use a slightly thicker stock of newsprint that had a matte finish to ensure that the printing was consistent throughout the whole publication.

Overall, this module has taught me that collaboration is something that I enjoyed the most. The opportunity to work with people that I didn't know very well was valuable because I feel as though I learnt a lot of new skills and it was a good way to produce a large amount of work in a short space of time because all of the roles were split between us. I think it has also highlighted the importance to not only rely on digital print, something I tend to do. In level 5 I would like to focus more on using traditional print methods more, even if it is just in the experimentation process i think it could improve my final outcomes a lot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment