Monday 15 May 2017

Pantone: Japanese stab stitching binding

This is the method I have chosen to use to bind the final booklet together. It is the most appropriate one because it is the only method that takes the individual sheets as the pages. The square shape of the book works well for this method. 

Due to the thickness of the overall book once the pages are stacked together the more holes I use, the stronger the final binding will be. I have decided to do a 5 hole stab stitch because it will fit nicely along the left hand side of the pages, leaving enough room so that a pattern can be seen but also with the holes being close enough together that the durability of the binding is increased. 

Process
Figure 1 shows the mini notebook I made in a book binding workshop that I attended as part of the uni course. The stab stitch binding was the one technique that I would like to apply to this booklet design. I created a very rough mockup (fig. 2) of the pages printed onto copy paper and the hole just estimated where they would go. This would allow me to visualise how the final product would look and if there were any changes that needed to be made on the Indesign document. I decided to have the end holes 1.5cm from the edge of the page and then the rest evenly arranged in between this boundary. To ensure that every page would line up, I create a template (fig. 3) that I could use on each of the pages. Figure 4 shows the template on top of the printed pages, allowing for the mark to made so that I knew where to make the hole. Figure 5 shows a page with all of the holes on it where they needed to be. Figure 6 shows the final stab-stitched book. 


fig. 2
fig. 1


fig. 3
fig. 4
fig. 5
fig. 6





No comments:

Post a Comment