Monday 15 May 2017

Penguin: Final developments and evaluation



In order to respond to studio brief 2, 3 book covers for the Penguin Classic novels of Olalla, Nonsense and White Nights have been designed using the marber grid. The use of the marber grid has highlighted the design principle of layout being important in graphic design and has shown me that the use of the same grid on each of the designs is a way to create consistency and build an identity within a series of books. 
The books all have a number of themes within the storylines, so rather than trying to objectively show this on the front cover I have taken elements such as the location it was set, the structure of the writing and the typeface of the original book design to try and create an abstract representation as the visual on the book covers. 
As the books all have a very different set of themes within, it was important to establish a colour scheme that could represent all three and not having to have a different colour for each was something that I was aiming to achieve. The black, white and grey colour scheme works to ensure that the 3 covers look part of a series. 
The timeline celebrates Romek Marber's move to London in 1946, the start of his creative journey to different institutes and then finally to being able to re-design the Penguin front cover layouts. The timeline is effectively designed to display the various events throughout his life as a journey; placing the dates, descriptions and logos within the boundaries of the Tube Map has worked well.
The typeface on the back of the book is Gill Sans because that was the typeface used on the original London Underground Map. If I were to improve this design, I would use the same typeface on the front cover rather than sticking to Helvetica which is commonly used on Penguin books. 
If I were to do this project again, I would like to develop the illustrations on the front. I now feel much more confident with drawing and stylising ideas that I have, something I think this project could be improved with. Experimentation is something that would allow me to come up with some more varied designs and potentially push me out of my comfort zone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment