Thursday 18 May 2017

Studio brief 4: Existing publications research

fig. 1
fig. 2
Figure 1 and 2 are images of the 'Esquire' zine that was published for London Fashion Week menswear day. The publication is a foldable zine of interviews, trends, and advice which the reader can gradually unfold to read. I will not be taking this approach for my project, but the colour scheme is something I will use as inspiration for my design development. The idea of having one main colour works well to keep the design throughout consistent, but all of the important bits on each page can be emphasised and the colour can be used to ensure that certain parts stand out more than others. In the initial crit it was suggested that the each page could be designed to potentially be used as a poster, but in the middle it should be a double page spread that could be a poster. Figure 2 shows how the back of he folded zine is an image that could be hung up as a poster for the audience of this zine. This poster has stuck to the colour scheme and the image is relevant to the content on the other side. The poster in the middle of my newspaper could be an image that I took during the first few weeks of being in Leeds. 

fig. 3


The Wayward Arts magazine shows how effective minimal type could look and how an image on each page can tell enough of a story. The idea of having an image on each page (fig. 4) is something that I had considered for the design of my newspaper. I like how it leaves the audience to guess what that particular page is trying to say. This concept is appropriate for my idea because the situations of when we feel as though we are acting like an adult can be seen to be subjective as everyone will have experienced different things before coming to university. It is effective how the front cover (fig. 3) is a similar design to the inside pages, a full page image with the title worked into the image so that it is not too distracting but clear enough so that the audience can understand the content that will be in the magazine. Figure 5 has inspired the design of the poster for the newspaper I am designing. The idea of taking the duotone colour scheme and applying it to one image (fig. 5) as the central spread is effective and visually I think it is something that I would like to achieve. I plan to use an image I took during the first few weeks of being in Leeds and adapt it o that it is duotone of the colours in the colour scheme for the newspaper. 
fig. 4
fig. 5



No comments:

Post a Comment