Sunday 14 May 2017

Poster: Folding techniques

I started the research on a website called FoldingTechniques, these were all very repetitive geometric folded objects (fig. 1) as the outcomes. I like these as a way to build up texture, working well as a backdrop for the poster. But further research into the exhibition itself, it seemed more appropriate to either focus on the femininity of the underwear production, or a conceptual approach that could illustrate the emotions and associations to the different types of underwear and how it links to fashion. 

Origami experiments
I had decided that the Harebell was the best flower to represent the content and purpose of this underwear exhibition. The flower is thought to appear delicate and fragile, but actually be very resilient and tough. This is something that could be applied to the design process and overall purpose of underwear. Underwear is designed to look delicate and 'pretty', allowing the user to feel feminine and essentially when only in this a little bit vulnerable. In terms of practicality, something the exhibition is also exploring, underwear needs to be strong and durable so that it can be worn and will last a long time. 

To improve my origami skills and in order to come to the decision that the Harebell was the flower that I would choose, I did a number of experiments prior to the final outcome. I found it quite tricky to start with as it is something I had not tried before. I gradually started to attempt more complicated pieces and finally I was able to do the harebell, one which required more than one piece of paper. 

fig. 1




No comments:

Post a Comment