Wednesday 17 May 2017

Studio Brief 4: Initial ideas and feedback

1. Student Life Hacks



The idea behind this was to share the little things that I have learnt over the year that others may find interesting. The 'hacks' are very small and almost irrelevant, but in my opinion that creates humour. The existing 'life hacks' that have been published on the internet are very bold and 'tacky' looking. This is something that I could apply to my guide, or I could take it with a different approach and make it sleek and on trend. 

- the sugar and caffeine in a mocha is the best solution for an all nighter (which will happen on this course)
- percentage checking wine can make pre drinks much more effective, meaning you spend less money when you are out 
- cook in bulk and feel like you never have to cook again ... sort of 
- a cheesy playlist will always help with blogging
- if in doubt, it's always a black jeans and a nice top occasion 
- cheap cider mixed with blackcurrant is basically the same as the expensive flavoured ciders.
- visits from family means a restaurant meal, it's always worth inviting them up 

2. #Adulting





This idea is based on the twitter hashtag 'adulting', a term used to describe a moment that you realise you are now an adult. This happened to me a lot during the first few weeks of uni, so it could be something that could be made to be quite humorous. Some of the scenarios are moments of realisation and others are mocking it, saying how irresponsible you are being as an adult. 

- the first time you buy your own toilet roll #adulting
- planning a weekly shop #adulting
- choosing to drink wine with dinner #adulting
- that first laundry trip #adulting
- it's only 11am and i've already napped #adulting
- postponing that Netflix binge to attend uni ... am I #adulting
- cooking a meal with out pasta and thinking you are now a chef #adulting 

3. The outfits of an art school student (you will never be judged)


The one thing I enjoyed the most about joining an Art college was the freedom that we as individuals all have. It is ok to express your individual personality and stye, nothing is questioned and for the first time there are no restrictions on dress code. This is something that many of us can agree to have annoyed us in the past. Having the confidence to express yourself may also have been something a little daunting in the past, but at LCA there is no judgement and it is seen to be better to be different. This idea is to take pictures of student's outfits and place then in this flip-book style book; with the idea that the mix and match will illustrate just how much freedom there is with dress code at LCA. The format of the book will be based on the image above, a book made for Toyota the car company. The content of this book does not have any relevance to my idea, but the style is something that could influence the development of this concept. 

4. Working 9-5 fuelled by coffee ... 5am btw


My experience of first year graphic design has very much been fuelled by coffees of some type. The work load relies on some source of caffeine help, something I hadn't really drank until uni. This idea could be in the form of an illustrate poster, humorously informing the new students on when I think each coffee should be drank at the particular times throughout the day. The idea is to have the name of each coffee and then a little scenario based on my experience with this course on when I think would be good to drink it. 

LATTE: My to do list is totally do able if I just concentrate and use my studio time well.
CAPPUCCINO: I just need a little boost to see if this helps me to concentrate and start on that work. 
MOCHA: I want desert, but I need to stay awake a little longer.
ESPRESSO: SHIT SHIT SHIT. The deadline is in approximately 5 hours. I have been up all night reading the TAB and watching goats in cute jumpers. HELP
AMERICANO: Ok, I have handed in. Give me energy to walk home.

5. Leeds loyalty cards



As a student I have found that we are drawn to the completion of loyalty cards, especially when this leads to something free. Although this would not lead to something free, I thought the concept of ticking off a number of things would be something that would encourage freshers to explore the city of Leeds. In the style of a coffee loyalty card, 5 recommendations would be presented and the fresher would be able to tick them off as they go to each of them. There would be a different category for each card which could be coffee shops, bars, clubs, restaurants, parks, art shops etc. I think this idea could be successful because as a fresher I would have found it useful to have been given a list of recommended places to visit that maybe aren't too well known without being passed on via word of mouth.




No comments:

Post a Comment