Friday 19 May 2017

Studio brief 4: Final evaluation

Evaluation
The newspaper uses the colour scheme of the LCA website so that it is suitable for the target audience. The colours are vibrant and work well together, having narrowed it down to the two colours I think this works better and compliments the duotone poster on the central spread. I do think that the time given to complete this brief was short, so the production time was reduced. With more time I would have liked to have made the newspaper longer, allowing me the opportunity to have some different pages and not just the same style throughout. However, I do think that the final outcomes fulfil the brief requirements of the production of something that will entertain, inform or advise the Level 4 freshers. The content is entertaining as it is made up of little stories and scenarios and the back page is also advisory; providing recommendations of places to visit. 
The research for this project was thorough and by looking at existing newspapers and posters, I was able to apply some of the techniques to this newspaper. One way in which I could have improved the outcome of this newspaper would be to research into specific editorial designers and look at how they would approach a publication like this. 
Feedback received throughout the project was useful and informed a lot of the design developments. 
The main piece of feedback was based on the stock choice, using newsprint was something that has enhanced the concept of the publication, as it emphasises the topic of becoming an adult. Due to the fact that there were no print slots available, I had to source the paper and try out the different ways in which it could be printed. I was able to try 3 different thickness and surface finishes of newsprint which helped me to learn about the inks in a printer and how when the paper is thinner, the ink is absorbed more and therefore causes the outcome to appear darker. This informed my decision to use a slightly thicker stock of newsprint that had a matte finish, ensuring that the printing was consistent throughout the whole publication. During the production stage, I also learnt that to print double sided for a booklet, the printer has to be set to short edge binding rather than long. This was discovered through trial and error, something that can now inform the production of designs in other modules. 
Feedback from the final crit on the name of the newspaper was something that I could not change. The comments were that it sounded suggestive and could have been changed to '#adultlife', this is something I had considered at the beginning of the project but the concept is based on the actual twitter hashtag so it wouldn't make sense if I was to change it. 
Overall I am happy with the final outcome as it has a consistent visual style and principles that I have learnt over the year have been applied.







No comments:

Post a Comment