Tuesday 26 February 2019

Artisan Drinks - Australian vs. English

As part of the research I had to look at Australian vs. English phrases so that I could develop the copy in an accurate manner.

Australian 
Ace: Just like in British slang, 'ace' is a compliment given to praise some achievement.
(To) Big-note oneself: To brag about yourself.
(Not My) Bowl of rice: Used in the same way as 'not my cup of tea'.
(To) Crank on to (Someone): To flirt with someone, to be romantically interested in someone.
Piece of piss: Same as 'piece of cake', but needlessly gross
Pom/Pohm/Pommy/Pommie: An Englishman. This is usually followed by 'bastard', which is a term of endearment in Australia.
Screamer: Someone who loves to party
Sheila: A woman
Spunk: Australians mean by 'spunk' what the Brits mean by 'cracking'―an attractive person of either sex.
Tall poppy: Someone who has succeeded, who has made the most of his life
Crikey, blimey: Euphemisms used to communicate amazement or surprise.
Beaut! or You beauty! Exclamation of delight.
Bonzer Good, a good thing.
Mate A sworn friend – one you’d do anything for – as essential as beer to the Australian stereotype.

"You're a spunky Sheila"

English
“I’m knackered!”: “I’m tired.” 
“I’m chuffed to bits!”: "I'm very pleased"
Golly gosh
"You're the bee's knee's" 
Better than a cuppa 
"You're fit" 

“Do you want to join us for a cheeky pint?”
"Bagsy"
"Bob's your uncle"
"Bog-standard"



No comments:

Post a Comment