Saturday 21 April 2018

Micro-genre: Design developments

I started by planing out the three illustrations that I wanted to make and thinking what would look good as a series. It was important to use the foods that are really associated with each of the countries and not with any others. 

American 
- lucky charms
- waffles
- pop tarts 

Japanese 
- chopsticks 
- soy sauce
- sushi 


The basis of the illustrations will come from the photos that I had taken as experiments and then other sources online will need to be used to enhance the accuracy of the final illustrations. 

The development started by placing the photo on the page to see if visually it would work as a stand alone illustration on the page and if there was to be a caption I looked at the different placements. 





The Illustrations were drawn using the photos as a reference but manipulating it to work how I needed it to. Something I learnt after a few attempts was that each part of the drawing that would need to be a different shade of colour would need to be drawn separately so that they could be filled. This was something that I did not do initially as I am used to drawing with just lines and concentrating on how they look without being filled. This new way of illustration meant that lots of lines had to be repeated, so to ensure that this looked accurate and that they lined up I selected the particular sections of the lines and copied them to join onto the rest of the shape. 




The screenshots show how each of the gaps in the waffles needed to be drawn with care and consideration of perspective. The slightly darker colour works well to show a shadowing that would naturally ccur in the food itself. 




I did not have a box of pop tarts photographed, so using found imagery for reference I started to design the sushi flavoured Pop Tarts box. The line drawing gradually developed so that the most important parts of the box were included which was needed to ensure that the association to the illustration being Pop Tarts, an American product. I then had to find some sushi that was in a similar position as to how I needed it for the box, which I found on google images. I then used it for reference and drew it in the style that I needed for the final illustrations. I put it in place of the strawberries that were on the original box, so it was discrete but when discovered by the viewer they would be able to make the association between America and Japan. 

The side of the box also needed the brand name on the side but without having to re-draw the whole thing I used the perspective tool on Adobe Illustrator to manipulate the vector drawing so that it would sit accurately on the side of the box and read how it was meant to. 


The colour scheme was applied to the box in reference to the existing colour palette for the product, but this being close to the original did not effectively show the difference of flavour. I thought to make it fit with the other illustrations it would be better to use the pink as the dominant colour. 


The word 'sushi' was made larger so that it filled the banner across the box in a similar way that the word 'strawberry' did. It also made it more obvious as to what the flavour of the pop tarts were, an important factor when trying to show the American influence on Japan. 



The soy sauce in the primary images was nice, but I thought it would work ore effectively to use a soy sauce that more people recognised. This particular brand is much more popular than the one that i have photographed. I based my illustration on this particular brand of soy sauce so that the message trying to be portrayed would not be lost through people not recognising the product that was in the illustrations. 


I placed the waffles next to the lucky charms illustration so that I could place the soy sauce in a position that would sit in a similar way on the page. I slightly raised the height of the soy sauce so that it filled a similar proportion of the page as the luck charms illustration, the chopsticks make it much taller. 


Now that all of the illustrations had been completed I could start adding the appropriate colours to them. I needed to do some colour palette experimentation before I finalised the colours used. 










No comments:

Post a Comment