Sunday 8 April 2018

Synaesthesia: Alyssa Colina

Synesthesia magazine

Taking the personal problem of migraines and the synesthetic experience that these cause, Alyssa has created a  magazine both visual and informative to illustrate the experiences that may be had. The work visually explores deeper into the content that is being presented, showing that Graphic Design has a large part on how information is processed and understood.

"I experience migraines 2-4 times a month and while it is manageable, I have to be mindful and careful of what I eat, see, and smell. I have a lot of “triggers” that will make my migraines worse and I can be in bed for a day if a migraine strikes. I’m very sensitive to lights, sounds, and smells as a result. I didn’t realise that a study was done to prove that synesthetic experiences happen to people with migraines, and what’s more interesting is that we’re more susceptible to these experiences. It made a lot of sense to me, seeing as how I associate pain with the smell of onions or that I consider bright light to be knife-like. I made sure to get the point across that, while migraines are not pleasant, there is a lot to be said about what it’s like to experience one, and sometimes that can be connected to a synesthetic experience."

Starting the magazine black and white is a good way to introduce the topic to someone new and of no knowledge of synesthesia. The typography manipulation is strong and very clearly illustrates the points being made in the text. It is an effective magazine because it has taken the topic of synesthesia and focused it on one experience and problem that many will be able to relate to and potentially no understand their own symptoms and experiences better. 






No comments:

Post a Comment