Sunday 13 November 2016

Studio Brief 2: Type specimen development



I started the development process for the final presentation of my typeface by taking the raw images of the shadow castings and placing them across the centre of the page, envisioning it as a large professionally produced black and white photograph. I then thought that I could print an overlay of the finalised typeface on top of this black and white photo in a bright colour. This would allow the audience to see the process as well as the final design. 


I then developed on from this idea and decided that a double-sided type specimen would present the bespoke typeface in a more suitable way. I started with the repetition of the alphabet across the page multiple times, but I do no think this is an 'unorthodox' approach to the presentation. I then looked at extracting certain elements and visually presenting them in a way to drawn attention to certain design decisions. I gradually developed the layout design so that I could include the rationale, the complete typeface and a couple of enlarged letters. 


This is the final design of the type specimen and I came to this decision by gradually adapting it until the layout was at its optimum. I plan to print this onto coloured card to make it stand out.

No comments:

Post a Comment