Wednesday 9 November 2016

Studio brief 2: research on typeface design


As part of my research, I found a blog called 'Making Your First Font - A Little Guidance'. The blog highlighted that there is no right or wrong way to go about designing type, but one of the key starting points is to 'mess around' a lot with pen and paper. This is a quick method of visually documenting all of your ideas without the constraints of a computer. These ideas can then be developed and finalised on the computer as one of the final stages of the process. 

The blog also spoke about how it can be hard to differentiate between type and lettering. As I am designing a typeface, I will need to ensure that all of the letter forms are interchangeable and can work in every possible combination. 

It then suggested that the lowercase letters of the alphabet are a good place to start because they will be the letters to be used more often. It is important to choose a phrase or word which uses a variety of letters to keep working on until all of the letter work together as best as possible. The blog then suggested to move on to another word or phrase to make sure the same rules work with the letters being in different combinations.


I found this blog very interesting because I would have assumed that computer work would have been the best way to approach this brief because it is easy to quickly manipulate elements very intricately. I will concentrate on using a lot of drawing by hand as initial development, before I then focus on the computer work.

I found this blog very interesting because I would have assumed that computer work would have been the best way to approach this because it is easy to quickly manipulate elements very intricately. I will concentrate on using a lot of drawing by hand as a way to initially develop my ideas and once the concept has been decided on, I will move on to using a computer. 








No comments:

Post a Comment