Tuesday 27 December 2016

Study Task 3: Contemporary Blackletter development


To make the most of the practical session, I had researched Blacklettering in advance and had ago at reproducing some of the letterforms using the flat nib of a Promarker. This allowed me to realise that the Blackletter style actual focuses on the different sections of the individual letter and how they are out together. I learnt the order in which the strokes are made and the direction in which each section is created surprised me as I was practising. The main feature that I will need to carry through to my contemporary designs would be the idea that the tool being used to make the mark does not change direction, allowing the high contrast lines to be created.


The image above shows some of the markings that I made to represent the different symbols of the signage system that would be needed within a public space such as a hospital. I photographed each sheet individually and could then vectorise them in Adobe Illustrator to see if I could then develop a wayfinding system. 



I experimented by cutting out the shapes created and then cutting them up and putting them back together to see what kind of patterns could be created. I then did a series of different lines with a number of different paint brushes and changed the consistency of the ink. This allowed me to see what kind of textures, colours and shapes could be created and applied to my final outcome.

Cutting out and arranging all of the experiments into my sketchbook allowed me to see that it was the elongated design that worked the most effectively. It has the high contrasted strokes that would be found in Blacklettering, but the elongation adds the contemporary twist to it all. I can now focus on how I can apply this design rule to all of the other symbols that will be needed in the wayfinding system. 




Elongated design
The fact that Blacklettering is made up of separate strokes to create one letterform inspired me to try and develop the symbols in this same way. I looked at the shapes that were used in the particular symbol and spent time drawing them all out individually. I repeated the process so that I had a large collection that I could cut up and collage together to create the desired symbol. 

Screenshot of Illustrator developments
I scanned in all of the ink drawings and then image traced them all so that I could individually change all of the vectors and manipulate them to create the final symbols for the wayfinding system.

Final Outcomes


No comments:

Post a Comment