Sunday 18 December 2016

Study task 2 - Objective symbols of subjective things // Ecstasy

The time spent researching into the patterns that could visually represent the word ecstasy lead me to focus on the more 'swirly' patterns and the feeling of spinning/head spins. The experiments were with the very straight and regimented patterns as I think this will provide a deeper meaning for the final outcome as it is the opposite to what the feel of ecstasy brings. I decided to apply the concept of Houman Momtazian's Photo Booth typeface called "Swervin'" to my experimental journey. I held the sketch up to the webcam on my laptop and applied the ‘twirl’ effect. I took a few different photos to get the clearest result. I then upped the contrast and cropped it so that I could open it in Adobe illustrator and trace over the outlines of the letters. The sketchbook pages show how I then cropped sections of the patterns into circles, a shape often associated with wayfinding systems. 

Initial developments



I printed the letter 'E' a multiple of times onto A3 paper with the intention to cut it up and do some collaging with it. Instead, the grid-like layout sparked an idea about how the letter only uses vertical and horizontal lines to create it entire formation.  I sketched out a 2 by 2 grid system and then drew the alphabet into this using only single solid lines. A lot of the research into the feeling of 'ecstasy' visually fell in line with that of an optical illusion. A lot of optical illusions appear to be spinning when the viewer stares at them.
Development page 1
Development page 2
Development page 3
Development page 1 shows the letters and how they have been manipulated using PhotoBooth.
The typeface produced was interesting and conceptual; accurately representing the feeling of ecstasy. I experimented with the visuals that could be created using the new typeface and whether or not it could then inspire me with the development of the pictograms for the wayfinding system. The constant overlapping of the letter worked effectively and created an interesting pattern, suggesting a sense of confusion. I liked the bolder letterforms and think that this will work well with the pictograms.
To transform this into pictograms, I decided to follow the same grid system as the original letter. The line thickness of the letter was increased in the hope to create a set of shapes rather than a set of letters. I didn't want them to be instantly recognised as letters, but more so as symbols.
The 2 by 2 squares allowed the new shapes to be resized to fit in these and then by dividing it up, I could delete the necessary parts.




No comments:

Post a Comment