Monday 30 January 2017

Studio Brief 1: Colour research

Colour research
There are a number of colours that are heavily associated to the Mod subculture, red and blue being the main two. I have yet to decide which will form the colour scheme of the wayfinding system, but to find the most suitable shade of each I created some swatches. I gathered a variety of music albums (Figure 1)that were popular within this subculture and took all of the blues and reds from the artwork (Figures 2 and 3). This allowed me to build up a collection of different shades so that I could see if there was a particular shade that seemed to be the most popular. I also got a pantone swatch of red and blue so that I could match the final colour decision to the closest shade on the Pantone system. This is important when designing because it will make the production of all of the materials much easier as printers will have the Pantone colours and costs will not have to be added trying to mix a new shade. 


Figure 1
Figure 2

Figure 3
Location research
It was important to find the locations that are associated with the Mod subculture so that I could plan where each of the sign posts and supergraphics etc. will need to be placed around Leeds. The blue dots on Figure 4 show each of the location that I am basing the wayfinding system on. I chose these particular locations because they each had a different part in the subculture, rather than only having clothes shops or only music venues. Figure 5 shows the satellite view of each of the locations so that I can see where the supergraphic will go at each of the locations. The majority of the locations have flooring outside the main entrances that will allow for something visual to be placed on the floor. Now that I have plotted the locations on the map, I can easily see where the in-between directions will need to be placed and using Google maps, I will be able to find out the exact distance from the signpost to each of the locations. 
I would like to make a map to accompany the system and make it more accessible to everyone. I would like to use the idea of psycho-geography that I have researched into and make a fairly subjective map. This would mean that people would be able to see the relationships of the locations in comparison to each other, but no accurate information would be provided. 
Figure 4
Figure 5

No comments:

Post a Comment